Way Up in Telluride

Way Up in Telluride

Monday, May 17, 2010

What is Ecocomposition Anyway?

(If you're looking for the newest version of my place piece, it's below this post.)

At the end of Fall quarter earlier this year, I found my self wrestling with the same question to which this post is dedicated: What is Ecocomposition, anyway? I was working on a seminar paper about Ecocomp., and let's just say my inability to define the term, paired with my newness to graduate school , made for a really bad paper. The amazing thing is that now, maybe 30 weeks wiser, I still find it difficult to define. But this time I'm okay with it. It is, after all, something that Dobrin recognizes as resisting definition (14).

But, here's my stab at it:

Ecocomposition is an area of inquiry/pedagogy that involves:
  • interdisciplinary approaches and holistic thinking
  • emphasis on activism
  • constant questioning of itself
  • viewing relationships
  • consideration of the author and his/her contexts as interdependent factors in creating writing
  • identity construction in terms of place--not just through other humans
The benefits of an ecocompositional approach seem, to me, numerous. In encouraging students to explore their relationships with places, we encourage students to explore their own identity and foster interest in environmental issues. Also, an ecocompositional approach lets us work in tandem with other disciplines to broaden our perspective of our world and ourselves. And focusing on relationships instead of analyzing individual aspects of a greater whole allows us to understand a greater cause-and-effect system. It's holistic consideration in identity construction, interdisciplinary studies, and emphasis on context do not seem to isolate place from social issues, so arguing that it abandons human interactions is impossible. And by supposedly questioning itself constantly, ecocomposition practices what it preaches, always reevaluating its relationships. We become more well rounded and we care about others. Sounds like a good approach to me.

But also with these things in mind, the only shortcoming of ecocomposition I can see is this: what doesn't it include? Might adopting holistic thinking dilute, instead of enrich? And perhaps ecocomposition is too idealistic. It's easy to say that we need to think a certain way, but putting it into practice can be a bigger hurdle to jump.

4 comments:

  1. Sam,
    In reading Owens' chapter, I was impressed by his assignments because they seem to avoid the 'political indoctrination' charges hurled ecospeak-like at any politically informed comp. pedagogy. Maybe Drews' space/discourse mapping also could accomplish this. (I wish this book included more detailed pedagogical materials.)

    See my comment on Craig's post about ecocomp being about everything.

    I want to point out that the approach to place varies a lot. Drew eschews anything to do with human/nature relationships, whereas Weiser places the problem of the non-human at the center of ecological identity/selfhood. I wish W had gone further with that, say, discussing specific cases of human/non-human relations.

    --Albert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam,

    As far as your criticism about holism leading to dilution, I noticed that Dobrin and Weisser were careful to assert that they don't want ecocomp to become a foundational theory, but instead see it as one among many useful theoretical perspectives that provides some very useful perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam,
    I like the short-witty-ness of this post. (sounds good to me...)
    Yet, I'm curious what other identities you see being constructed through ecocomp (your last bullet point)?
    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not think that anyone seriously writing about theory believes they will shape some "foundational" theory to revolutionize all others. I guess I just missed what John was saying or maybe he imagined something you didn't say. Probably the latter.

    As for the ecocomposition trope, I think the point is that we see social environments as something to think reflexively about, preserve and respect for their diversity. This is at the heart of ecocomp pedagogy, as well as literacy studies. That's what I am getting from the texts and I think it speaks to the bullet point you list about "viewing relationships."

    Mark Long's essay on Ecocomposition (page 131) is very useful in thinking about "social" spaces of discourse.

    ReplyDelete